Welcome to the August 2022 update of the Australian Data Science Network (ADSN), a partnership of more than two-dozen data science research centres and organisations across the nation. The ADSN aims to connect expertise in data science across Australia, improve communication, encourage collaboration, expand opportunities, and promote our individual and collective capabilities.
Upcoming Events across the ADSN
📆 Stats Society: Meet our Early Career & Student Statistician Reps | Thurs, 18 August, 1pm-2pm, Virtual
Please join the Statistical Society of Australia’s Early Career and Student Statistician Network (ECSSN) representatives at this virtual welcome event and learn how we can connect with each other. We are joining forces with our neighbours and friends from the New Zealand Statistical Association ECSSN to organise a Webinar Series starting in September that will lead to a mini-conference in November. More information / Register
📆 The design and analysis of two-phase experiments involving human subjects | Wed, 24 August, 5:30pm – 7pm Adelaide Time, Flinders University
Biostatistician Chris Brien will address the South Australian Branch of the Statistical Society of Australia on two-phase experiments and how the potential for their application is not being realised because of a lack of awareness of multiphase experiments within the statistical community. More information / Register
📆 Kernel Stein discrepancy minimization for MCMC thinning in cardiac electrophysiology | Mon, 29 August, Thurs, 18 August, 1pm-2pm, Virtual
This is presented by the Bayesian Section of the Statistical Society of Australia. The guest speaker is Dr Marina Riabiz, King’s College, London. More information / Register
📆 Closing the Digital Research Skills Gap | Weds, 14 September, Virtual
This is part of the ARDC’s Leadership Series which provides leaders and decision makers with an opportunity to work through data challenges impacting researchers. More information / Register
📆 Data-driven Queueing Challenges (DDQC II): Management of Service Systems | 20-22 September, Virtual
The second multi-continent workshop will be held over 20-22 September 2022 on the subject of the Management of Service Systems. Previously, in September 2021 we held an online workshop on Data-driven Queueing Challenges, comprising 18 talks across multiple time zones with 300 registrants from 25 countries. The objective of this workshop is to highlight and discuss contemporary approaches to the management of service systems, with a focus on data collection, methodological insights, and analysis of decision making. More information / Register
📆 Workshop #2 on Indigenising Mathematics | 27-30 September, Newcastle & virtual
This workshop will build upon the initial workshop hosted by First Nations University in Canada. It will run online with some face-to-face components in Newcastle. More information / Register
📆 DIY R Package Workshop | Weds, 12 October, 10am – 4 pm, Virtual
This interactive workshop from the Statistical Society of Australia will equip you with the basic skills to create an R package of your own. We will walk through the package building process and apply the same workflow to your own function. We will learn about testing and continuous integration and implement them using Github Actions. More information / Register
📆 ARDC Digital Research Skills Summit | 2-3 November, Sydney
The annual skills summit provides a vibrant forum for eResearch skills communities to network, exchange information, share new initiatives and tackle complex, national scale skills challenges. We invite eResearch infrastructure providers, trainers, training program managers, researchers who train and other interested parties to join the summit, shaping the development of a national data and digital research skills strategy together. More information / Register
📆 AMSI BioInfoSummer 2022 | 21-24 November, The University of Melbourne
Develop your bioinformatics skills, national networks, and employability at AMSI BioInfoSummer 2022. Hosted by Melbourne Integrative Genomics, participants will explore bioinformatics under the themes of high-resolution biology, genome architecture, whole-cell modelling, and populations over the four-day program. More information / Register
📆 Save the dates: ASC & OZCOTS 2023 | 10-15 December, 2023, Wollongong, NSW
The local organising committee warmly invites you to the 2023 Australian Statistical Conference (ASC) and Australian Conference on Teaching Statistics (OZCOTS), which will take place in Wollongong from the 10th to the 15th of December 2023. More information / Register
Job opportunities (listed by closing date – earliest to latest)
📌 University of South Australia
- Mathematical Sciences Lecturer (x2) | Full-time, continuing – Closes TODAY 15 August. Note: At least one of these appointments will be made to a female or gender-diverse applicant.
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Computer Science: Programming Languages | Five-year Convertible Tenure Track – Closes 17 August.
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Computer Science: Software Engineering | Five-year Convertible Tenure Track – Closes 21 August.
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Bioinformatics & Computational Biology | Five-year Convertible Tenure Track – Closes 23 August.
- Research Associate, UNSW Data Science Hub | Fixed-term, 22 months – Closes 1 September.
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Natural Language Processing | Five-year Convertible Tenure Track – Closes 1 September.
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Computer Systems Design | 5-year Convertible Tenure Track (CTT) – Closes 12 September.
📌 St Vincent’s Institute – Melbourne
- Clinical Biostatistician Immunology & Diabetes | Part-time, 1-2 years – Closes 19 August.
📌 The University of Adelaide
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer – School of Mathematical Sciences | Fixed-term, 3 years – Closes 21 August
📌 Murdoch Children’s Research Institute
- Research Assistant/Officer (Data Science Biostatistics)| Fixed-term, 3 years – Closes 31 August
📌 Griffith University
- Research Fellow | Fixed-term, until May 2025 – Closes 31 August
📌 Monash University
- Operations Manager, Helix Technology Platform | Continuing – Closes 21 September.
📌 AFAC – National Council for Fire and Emergency Services
- Data Modeller | Fixed-term, until 30 June 2023
📌 Deloitte in Brisbane
- Applied AI Roles | Multiple opportunities through the end of the year
AMSI Vacation Research Scholarships 2022-2023 – paid six-week summer research projects in the mathematical sciences for undergraduate students
- QUT Centre for Data Science Team awarded Australian Institute of Sport grant to research how data boosts sporting strategy – QUT Centre for Data Science
- Playing catch-up in building an Open research commons– Science Magazine story on how the US is falling behind in efforts to build an open research commons. It also highlights how the ARDC is an international example of creating accessible & connected research computing and data infrastructure
- Think Tanks to create paths to responsible and inclusive AI in business – Data 61/CSIRO
- Esteemed mathematician named as inaugural Tibra Foundation Chair at Wollongong – University of Wollongong
- PODCAST: FAIR Research Platforms – ARDC
- Valuable data collections retained with $2 million boost – ARDC
Get to know other ADSN partners
If you’d like to find out more about other partners in our network, check out our video recordings from our ADSN Centre Spotlight series. The presentations are available on YouTube. Watch the recordings
Do you have an exciting news story, interesting opportunity or upcoming event that you would like featured in one of our newsletters or ADSN Alerts?
Please contact us to share your suggested content for consideration in the next ADSN communication piece.
Make sure you’re following the ADSN on Twitter @AustralianData to stay in the loop with the latest news, events and opportunities.
Remember to use the hashtags #ADSN and #AustralianDataScience so we can reshare relevant updates with the network!
If you no longer wish to receive these newsletters, click here to unsubscribe.