What’s New in the Australian Data Science Network
Welcome to the July 2022 update of the Australian Data Science Network (ADSN), a partnership of more than two-dozen data science research centres and organisations across the nation. The ADSN aims to connect expertise in data science across Australia, improve communication, encourage collaboration, expand opportunities, and promote our individual and collective capabilities.
Upcoming Events across the ADSN
📆 Data Management Planning Interest Group Meeting | Tues, 19 July, 2-3 pm AEST
The ARDC is hosting a free online meeting for everyone interested in discussing, developing and improving Data Management Plans (DMPs) More information / Register
📆 MoCaO Lectures: Data Science | 20-21 July, The University of Queensland & Virtual
The Mathematics of Computation and Optimisation (MoCaO) Special Interest Group of AustMS is pleased to announce the inaugural MoCaO Lectures in Computation and Optimisation. For 2022, the focus is on Data science and in particular machine learning, its algorithms, mathematical foundations and applications. These one-hour lectures will be held each day during the week of July the 11 to the 15th and will be scheduled at 12pm AEST on the Monday through to the Thursday and will be starting at 12.30 on the Friday and run for 2 hours that day. All lectures will be broadcast via Zoom. More information / Register
📆 inSTEM Conference | 20-21 July, The University of Queensland & Virtual
inSTEM is a networking and career development conference for people from marginalised or underrepresented groups in STEM, and their allies. inSTEM will offer attendees a safe space where they can meet, make connections, and build relationships with other researchers and research scholars. Attendees will have the opportunity to hear from leading experts topics and strategies that support career development and progression. Virtual Registrations are still available
📆 Data Science Under the Hood: Deep Learning for Medical Imaging Applications | Thursday, 21 July, Online Webinar
As part of its ‘Data Science Under the Hood’ Series, the QUT Centre for Data Science welcomes Dr Laith Alzubaidi, a postdoctoral researcher in the QUT’s School of Mechanical, Medical and Process Engineering. Among other things, Dr Alzubaidi will discuss the difference between Deep Learning and Machine Learning, and when to use Deep Learning. More info/Register
📆 How the ABS ensures that data from the Census is of high quality” | 26 July, 5:30p-6:30p, Canberra (+ virtual)
The Canberra Branch of the Statistical Society of Australia invites you to the Foreman lecture (July branch meeting), which is held jointly with the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) and features four presenters from the ABS discussing the recent first tranche release of data from the 2021 Census of Population and Housing. More information / Register
📆 ARDC Digital Research Skills Summit | 29-30 August, Sydney
The annual skills summit provides a vibrant forum for eResearch skills communities to network, exchange information, share new initiatives and tackle complex, national scale skills challenges. We invite eResearch infrastructure providers, trainers, training program managers, researchers who train and other interested parties to join the summit, shaping the development of a national data and digital research skills strategy together. More information / Register
📆 Save the dates: ASC & OZCOTS 2023 | 10-15 December, 2023, Wollongong, NSW
The local organising committee warmly invites you to the 2023 Australian Statistical Conference (ASC) and Australian Conference on Teaching Statistics (OZCOTS), which will take place in Wollongong from the 10th to the 15th of December 2023.
Job opportunities (listed by closing date – earliest to latest)
📌 Deakin University
- Associate Professor in Biostatistics – Faculty of Health| Full-time, continuing – closes TODAY 19 July
- Associate Professor in Biostatistics – School of Health & Social Development|Full-time, continuing – closes TODAY 19 July
- Senior Research Fellow in Biostatistics| Part-time, fixed-term, 2 years – closes TODAY 19 July
📌 University of Sydney
- Biostatistician positions at NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre | Fixed term, 12 months – Closes 23 July.
📌 University of South Australia
- Mathematical Sciences Lecturer (x2) | Full-time, continuing – Closes 15 August. Note: At least one of these appointments will be made to a female or gender-diverse applicant.
📌 AFAC – National Council for Fire and Emergency Services
- Data Modeller | Fixed-term, until 30 June 2023
📌 Deloitte in Brisbane
- Applied AI Roles | Multiple opportunities through the end of the year
- The ARDC Wins Bid to Host International Data Week 2025 in Australia– ARDC
- Australia’s Data-enabled Research Future – ARDC, ACOLA, and the Australian Academy of Science
- AMSI Appoints New Board Chair – AMSI
NAIDOC WEEK 2022
- Data Science in the News: NAIDOC Week – watch the QUT Centre for Data Science webinar highlighting the research and leadership activities of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander colleagues, with a particular focus on the role of data and data science in their various professions, organisations and communities.
Get to know other ADSN partners
If you’d like to find out more about other partners in our network, check out our video recordings from our ADSN Centre Spotlight series. The presentations are available on YouTube. Watch the recordings
Do you have an exciting news story, interesting opportunity or upcoming event that you would like featured in one of our newsletters or ADSN Alerts?
Please contact us to share your suggested content for consideration in the next ADSN communication piece.
Make sure you’re following the ADSN on Twitter @AustralianData to stay in the loop with the latest news, events and opportunities.
Remember to use the hashtags #ADSN and #AustralianDataScience so we can reshare relevant updates with the network! If you no longe